compiled / linked binary file is too large on solaris 8 for x86 and gnome2?

Dear sirs:
    I'm using gcc 3.2 on solaris8 for x86 , installed gnome 1.4/2, I found that each compiled binary is about
300k if source include gnome.h and so,  and after link it, the binary execute file is very large if multi
source file in application. for example: my application using gnome 2 have 17 *.c files,the linked file is
5.4M,  and I build glimmer on gnome 1.4,  glimmer size is 13M ,what parameters should add to compile and link
it?
    thanks.