gtk_socket_steal

I have written an application that uses gtk_socket_steal on a Red Hat 7.3
system.  It works fine on the machine I wrote it on, but when I attempt to
use it on a machine that is significantly slower, the component applications
do not get pulled into my GUI.  I have slowed down the code to a crawl with
calls to sleep() thinking that my problems may have been due to some kind of
race condition, but have had no success.
Has anyone else had issues like this?  I am finding it hard to believe that
gtk_socket_steal won't work on anything below a Pentium III.  Any
suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Shane