panel applet with multiple windows

HI

In a normal gtk program, it is possible to launch
multiple top level windows from one process like this

  window1=gtk_window_new(TOP_LEVEL_WINDOW);
  window2=gtk_window_new(TOP_LEVEL_WINDOW);

This saves a lot of memory as compared to launching
two separate processes. Now, when making a gnome applet,
one has to do something similar for the top level
window:

  appletwindow=applet_widget_new("myapp");

the applet window then appears in the gnome panel.
Now, in the applet I'm making, I'd like to have a
number of buttons which are to appear in the
panel. I'd like the buttons to be able to move
around independently, as if they were separate
applets. However, launching a new process for each
button costs too much memory, so I tried to make
start a number of applet_widgets from one file.
Unfortunately I'm encountering some strange
bugs in the applet, so I'd like to know if
it should in principle be possible to launch several
app windows from one process like this.

best regards

jos