response signal of a dialog (v1.2)

Hey
I'm writing an app with color change dialogs and have been fighting with gtk 1.2 to use the same call back
function for both the foreground and background colors.  I would like to make one connection like
gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(colorSelectionDialog), "response", GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(set_color),
the_color_pointer_I_was_passed);

I know that in 2.0 the response signal has it's own datatype but can't find any documentation on it for 1.2
(which I am effectively forced to use).

Help?
thanks
Aaron