Waiting for a Signal

Hello,

Is there a way to "wait until a signal is emitted" within a function?

I have a modal dialog, which I need to wait to get a user's selection from before returning from a function, and am wondering how to do this...

In other words, how could I do something like this:

int function()
{
   pop_up_some_modal_dialog_box(); // this is easy to code

   // wait until the user presses 'ok', or 'cancel', or the close box

   return what_the_user_chose(); // this is easy to code
}

Thanks,

  Jonathan