Ruler question

I apologize if this question has already been answered, but I can't
find the answer and could use some guidance.  I'd like the ruler in
my app to indicate screen pixels rather than units of 1/72 inch.  My
thought is to somehow get the current number of pixels per inch from
X and use this to set pixels_per_unit in the GtkRulerMetric for my
ruler.  Is this even possible, and, if so, how do I get the required
data from X?

TIA,
Steve