displaying text

Hi,

I'm currently working on porting a program (guess which one :o) from
motif to GTK, and I'd like to profit by this occasion to improve the UI.
The thing is that I'd like to display some text in dialog boxes from
time to time, but this would be much nicer if I could avoid the
scrollbar. At the moment, I use
gtk_scrolled_window_set_policy (GTK_SCROLLED_WINDOW (scrolledwindow1),
GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC, GTK_POLICY_AUTOMATIC);
around my GtkText widget (with wordwrap enabled)

- Is there a possibility to get the size of the window to display
(without having having it displayed) so that all the text fits in it?
(all this with maintaining a fixed (or not too weird) width/height ratio
for the display area if possible) In fact, I'd like to get the *perfect*
display window, not too big, not too small, not to streched :-)
- Or else, given the text I have to display, I want to retrieve the
GtkAdjustment of the ScrolledWindow, but before "gtk_showing" it, do
anyone of you know how to do so?

Thanks,

Maxime