Re: [gthumb-list] Display IPTC comment in the sidebar

On 30.05.19 15:21, John Burke wrote:
For some images, I added a text comment:

welcome to metadata hell. =)

$ wrjpgcom -comment "This is my test comment" testimage.jpg > testimage.jpg
This has the result of writing the `Comment' field in the image
metadata. IIUC, it should be an IPTC field in this case. I would like to
display the comment of this image in gThumb's sidebar.

as per your exif-dump below, it is not an IPTC comment, but a weird one. i have no clue _what_ that field really is.

i would try to write to IPTC:Caption-Abstract with your metadata tools. gthumb picks that up without a problem.

also XMP:Description should be no problem, just like EXIF:UserComment.

and yes, gthumb writes the comment to those three fields, because they are the ones that get used by most programs. three standards.

In `Preferences' -> `Extensions', `Support for EXIF, IPTC, XMP' is
enabled. However, the sidebar currently shows only Name, File size, File
modification Date/Time, File Type, MIME Type, File path, File Type and
Image Size. I did not find a way to add other fields, and therefore
my comment is not shown.

you can not add new fields, but you can see more by switching to the detailed view with the selector buttons at the bottom of the sidebar.

Is it possible to make comments written with `wrjpgcom' appear on the
sidebar on gThumb?

in more than 20 years of fighting with and against all kinds of image metadata, i never came across wrjpgcom until now.

my take: switch to one of the standard tools for mangling image-metadata .. exiftool or exiv2. maybe not as simple, but more consistent and compatible with others.

cheers,
grubernd