Re: Filtering by type

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 14:58 +0000, Iago Toral wrote:

>  So summing up, my opinion is that we should discard the idea of
>  filtering using flags and focus only on adding the filter API. Sorry
>  that I did not mention this explicitly in the email were I proposed
>  add a filtering API, I thought it would be obvious that it was
> intended
>  to be a complement of this option.

The proposal was a quick way of restricting results to a type of objects
that I'm interesting it, with no changes in the api. And it wasn't
intended as an alternative or replacement of your proposal. In this
case, for other types of filter (by date, by artist, whatever), user
would need to use your proposal.

I don't mind to forget about it and just focus in the filtering API, as
you said. But then, will that API help me to do all my operations and
restrict everything to the type of data I'm interesting in?

That is, when I browse, I only want to get only the kind of medias that
my application was designed for. In fact, I was thinking about adding
API to load only plugins that can provide a specific kind of media.
Thus, for my ImageViewer use-case, I would only load Image providers,
and not Audio nor Video.

	J.A.