Re: [GOK] gok and gnome 3.0

Steve Lee wrote:
2009/9/23 Ben Konrath <ben konrath utoronto ca>:
I see two options here: we can either move gok over to Python and use
pyatspi2 or we can keep gok in c and port it to cspi2. For the second
option, somebody, I guess that's me, will have to work on cspi2.

My feeling is that moving GOK over to Python is a better long term
strategy - this brings us inline with other GNOME accessibility apps and
it will be easier to experiment when it comes time to add new features
after GNOME 3.0. This, however, is only my opinion. I would like to get
comments from other people and hopefully come to a consensus on this
issue before I proceed. Gerd, I'm specifically interested in hearing
your opinion on this.

+1 to Python

1) pyatspi is mature, stable, is very easy to use and well proven
though its use in Orca, Accesserciser and others.
2) Accerciser, Orca etc provide code examples that are up-to-date.
3) Orca encapsulates a large body of AT development experience
4) There is growing expertise in Python in the accessibility community
and wider GNOME community.
5) Having developed extensively with C/C++ and Python I find Python
offers many advantages for developing AT.

Hi,

I'd also be in favor of moving GOK to Python. I don't have any experience with pyatspi, but from the list above this seems like a good way forward. It would also be an opportunity to renew the code base in general and make it easier to integrate new features.

cheers,
Gerd