Greetings and an advanced question

Greetings to all and Happy Holidays,

I'm new to gnumerics but not to spreadsheets themselves nor the APIs that act
against them.

I have a python script that takes two arguments and returns a return-code. So:
    myScript  fileA fileB

Assume I have a tab where cells in column A have been populated thusly
    myScript  myFileA myFileB
    myScript  myFileA myFileC
    myScript  myFileB myFileC

Question: feasibility/difficulty of creating a new function, tied to a new
icon hanging off the Tools menu, that, for the tab currently open, loops
through all the populated cells in column A and for each cell value evaluates
the string, executes the string as a separate new process, and recoveres the
return-code and populates the corresponding cell in column B with a green
"PASS" or red "FAIL"

And will I need the python plugin to achieve this? Gnumeric as installed on
the box I use curiously has most of the plugins installed but not this one.

Any pointers, hints, constructive criticism and examples are all welcome.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Still-learning Steve
--
I hate spam