Re: Imported text is converted to date

UNSUBSCRIBE

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Morten Welinder <mwelinder gmail com> wrote:
>Unfortunately, I believe the configurable text importer also fails in the same way.
> With the attached .csv file I get identical results either by automatic importation
> or by using the configurable text importer (setting " as the text indicator).

The text indicator has nothing to do with this.

On the third page, select "Text" instead of "General".

Morten

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Rex Couture <rex wustl edu> wrote:
>     Thanks for your helpful comments.  I've looked at the problem some more,
> and I understand it better now.
>
>     Unfortunately, I believe the configurable text importer also fails in
> the same way.  With the attached .csv file I get identical results either by
> automatic importation or by using the configurable text importer (setting "
> as the text indicator).
>
>     I think the .csv specification is not the source of the problem, and
> neither is text importation.  The problem is that Gnumeric always interprets
> a string such as 10.24.2 as a date unless it is preceded by a single quote '
> .  This is true for either manual (keyboard) input or text import.  If I
> enter 10.24.2 into a blank cell, Gnumeric interprets that as a date unless I
> precede it with an apostrophe.  I did not find an actual specification for
> entering dates, but the Help document has many examples, and this format
> (with periods) is not one of them.
>
>     For text import this behavior does not work if a delimiter is intended
> as part of the string.  For example, in the attached .csv file, importing
> the first and second lines fails if commas are intended as part of the
> string.  In the third and fourth lines of the attachment, Gnumeric
> recognizes "10.24.2, 3.7" as a string, but again it interprets "10.24.2" as
> a date (use " as the text indicator).  For my own application I can work
> around it easily, but I didn't find a general workaround.  To import strings
> like that I suppose one could use tab-delimited files, but the undesirable
> effect is that the file import method must depend on the strings.

Xavier Faure-Miller

Four Elements Capital Pte Ltd

96 Robinson Road, #16-01

Singapore 068898

Office: +65 6557 0578
Fax:
+65 6557 0498

www.fourelementscapital.com

Disclaimer: This email does not constitute investment advice or counsel or solicitation for investment of any product or fund. This email does not constitute or form part of, and should not be construed as, any offer for sale or subscription of, or any invitation to offer to buy or subscribe for, any investments, nor should it or any part of it form the basis of, or be relied on in any connection with, any contract or commitment whatsoever. FOUR ELEMENTS CAPITAL expressly disclaims any and all responsibility for any direct or consequential loss or damage of any kind whatsoever arising directly or indirectly from: (i) the use of this email, (ii) reliance on any information contained herein, (iii) any error, omission or inaccuracy in any such information. This communication is confidential, may be privileged and is meant only for the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply and delete this message from your system.  Any unauthorised dissemination, distribution or copying hereof is prohibited.