Column Graphs

If from the data table, I select the data (series1), then I select Insert > Chart > Column graph > I get the column graph with the automatic X-Axis 1, 2, 3, ...etc.  Then when  I try to change the X-Axis to years 1995, 1996, ...2005, series1 disappears.  So I can either have the plot of the data with the incorrect automatic X-Axis with the correct series plotted OR I can have the correct X-axis with NO the series plotted.
How can I change the X-axis without losing the series?
Thanks for any help.
CHV

Charles H Van deZande