Re: Simulation Analysis in the User's guide - review needed

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 16:45:51 +0100, Nick Lamb wrote:
But presumably since this is a UTF-8 text file you can also just type
Greek characters in, this Latin capital A is Unicode U+0041 but I just
press the key labelled A. So anyone who already has a way to type Greek
characters can just use that,

Indeed. Or anyone who has a character map tool like gucharmap can copy and
paste characters from it.

rather than having to learn a system of XML entities and get the exact
same output from DocBook ?

DocBook does not require the use of these XML entities, it simply allows
their use.

There are various reasons why an author may want to use them, like not
having an environment configured that allows for directly inputting
characters, catering to the least common denominator editing environment
(plain ASCII), or to disambiguate between characters that may have similar
appearance (e.g. is "P" a capital "p" or a capital rho).

HTH,
Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go