Re: Re: OpenDocument support - meta reworked

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:47:39AM -0400, uri david akavia wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Morten Welinder <mwelinder gmail com>
Date: Tuesday, October 4, 2005 4:16 pm
Subject: Re: Re: OpenDocument support - meta reworked

I know that one of the problems Gnumeric developers had with
OpenDocument was lack of specification of formulas. Has this
been solved?

We have no problem with OpenDocument.  It's an interesting
specification that we need to support.  The lack of standardization
on the forumulas and interpreter is more of a problem with the
marketing voodoo that OpenDocument will somehow cure cancer and
bring about world peace.  It's a file format, and like all formats
is at some level a dump of the applications data structures.  Inter
application or  even inter version translation still depends on
having identical feature sets.  The momement =SUM("apple") does
something different a translation layer is needed.

Then how do you import from Gnumeric to OpenDocument?

Gnumeric -> OOo should use .xls
OOo -> Gnumeric should also use .xls but can optionally use .sxc and
    with a pending patch .ods

There are problems in both directions.  Gnumeric tries to follow MS
XL conventions.  OOo hopefully going to follow in that direction but
has not decided as yet.  The net result is that functions like LOG
are somewhat different.  We need to map them as they go in and out
depending on the source.