Re: Need help please

On Wed, 2005-15-06 at 05:15 -0400, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
Everytime I open Gnumeric I get the following error message:

Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that
you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
locks due to a system crach.  See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
for information.  (Details - 1:IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-maureen/lock/ior'
not opened successfully, no gconfd located:  Permission denied  2:IOR
file '/tmp/gconfd-maureen/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd
located:  Permission denied)

I went to the web page but it does not show how to fix this problem.  I
am not on a NFS mounted home directory.  I only have Mandriva 10.2
Special Edition 2005 on my computer, no windows or anything else.
nfslock is not activated and has never been so.  I did lose power due to
a bad storm but I was able to shut the machine down (have an ups)
properly.  It talks about Red Hat Linux 8.0 but doesn't explain how to
fix the thing.
I get the same message for Abiword and Gnometris.  This is really a
headache.  Can someone tell me how to fix this? TIA

Hi Maureen,

I would try the following:

1:  kill any gconfd processes on your machine. To find them do:
ps aux | fgrep gconf
and then kill the found ones.

2: remove the directory /tmp/gconfd-maureen
rm -R /tmp/gconfd-maureen

then try starting gnumeric again.

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences