Re: Gnumeric and RHEL3

The Emacs maintainers have, so I'm told, promised to fix this more than
once. I think in the end as a compromise they've elected to leave the default
Emacs behaviour broken (as that matches the expectations of long-term Emacs
users who would otherwise complain) and provide a set of hooks...

We ought to invite Havoc over here too.

Anything that does not interoperate with the default terminal window (that
would be xterm) is broken.  No "ifs" and no "buts" about it.

Thus, Gnome (and not Emacs) is broken in this regard.  And it should be
considered broken until such time the authors of the new wannabe-standard
implement _and_ _widely_ _deploy_ changes to xterm to make it use the new
proposed standard.  That should perhaps have been initiated years ago, but
it was not -- a grand failure of those who support the new behaviour.

Gnumeric supports both broken (Gnome) and correct (xterm) behaviour.  There
is a gconf key for it.  I know because I put it there.

Morten