Re: how to print sheet with comments

Hi Jody

Personally I would be happy with a command that allows you to extract the
comment. That way I could set up a second sheet underneath with
something like

          =COMMENT('Sheet1!B23')

And then copy and paste it as necessary.

I agree that working the printing semantics would be difficult.
Especially with lots of comments - the cell may have to be substantially
resized, and how would you differentiate them ? If I was going to
suggest a mechanism, I guess it would be:

  Cells would have to be resized to allow the comments to fit - choice
  of horizontal or vertical resizing ?  Yes this would completely
  knacker a nice looking spreadsheet!  :-(

  Choice of font/font size for the comments.

  Choice of colour for the comments.

  Choice of placing comments on top of, underneath, or to the side of
  the cell contents.

An alternative scheme may be to select whether you wish to add an extra
cell underneath or to the right of each cell to print the
comments. Again, this would disrupt the sheet layout, but in my
experience comments are put there to remond you of something or explain
something, so you would only be printing them out for personal use to
check you have not missed any notes you made during the spreadsheet
construction.

As I said, the print issue isn't too much of an issue with me - the
comment extraction would be more useful as I could design the
spreadsheet to display comments wherever I wanted. Granted, it is
possible that I would miss some out, which the printing scheme would
not.

Regards,
Pete