Re: Open office format and GNUmeric

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:25:30AM -0400, Phillip Ezolt wrote:
There have been rumblings that Kspread may switch over to the
openoffice (XML) file format.

Has gnumeric considered a similar move?

Some what.

We plan to move gnumeric to the same packaging standards used by
openoffice.  However, there are no plans to merge at the xml layer.
I'm in the midst of implementing an opencalc importer for gnumeric
(an initial version is in 1.1.9) and will evaluate the format at
that time.  As it stands there are several elements that I don't
like for performance reasons.  However, we'll try to cherry pick the
good stuff for our next generation format.