gnumeric cell content is one-of-given-set?

Dear List Reader,

is it possible to give a gnumeric cell a state, so it displays always one of this
set (e.g.:) {"Joe", "John", "Tom"}?

I want to give a cell a value of this set and want to do calculation with a
value associated with this names. I.e. I want to choose how spent to money
by choosing the cell state and then take the money from his account.

This sounds very complicated, I know :-) I looked up the user manual but
did not find anything like this. I dont know how E*cel does this, so I could
not describe my wish in E*cel word. Hopefully anybody understands me :-)

    excuse me, if this is a FAQ
    Joerg