Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] CVS changes

ons 2002-11-06 klockan 19.29 skrev Charlie Campbell:
> Personally I am new to this mailing list, and in general new to CVS and
> how they work this is infact the first and only mailing list I think I
> have ever subscribed to willingly.. I personally enjoy seeing the
> development and in the past few days I have been able to observe
> development through this list .. although as others seem to allude to
> there must be other ways to check.. I have checked CVS status on a few
> projects but the only way I knew to do it was go to the CVS on sourceforge
> and browse the CVS and sort by date and manually see what was going on. I
> however am not a developer but I am very interested. Anyway I would like
> to say I would enjoy to have the CVS changes in the list, but don't weigh
> my opinion that high since I guess I would be considered a newbie or as I
> have seen recently "noob".

Oh, your opinion is certainly interesting. Don't be scared off of
commenting, we're all newbies at least once :)

But, back to your comment, I certainly see that daily CVS information
can be most useful. That's not the issue. The issue was whether it
should go to this list. In my opinion, this list should be for human
discussion and questions, not repeated automated mailings from a robot.

> Personally I set up a filter on my email to
> direct all Gnomemeeting material to a folder called Gnomemeeting

So do I.

> and if
> the title of the CVS emails stayed the same something like "CVS Changes"
> then you could make yet another filter to put CVS emails in another folder
> or delete them as they get there. Just a thought.

But that's a bad hack for solving the symptom, not the problem itself.
You'll still have the same problem in for example web archives when you
try to search for "who asked this question" and you get a lot of
irrelevant automated cvs announcements instead of the actual discussion
you tried to find.

Automated announcements are much different from any human discussion,
and ultimately this is a question of "use the list for what it's
intended to do". Noone told me that this list would be used for
automated announcements. I subscribed for discussions, and probably
asking a question or two, and perhaps answering some, involving actual
human communication(tm). Sometimes there is much discussion, sometimes
there is little, and that's the beauty of it, beacuse I can read ahead
when there is little, and there's an actual human at the other end,
which would seem appropriate for a discussion list.

All other projects that I know of try to separate the different kinds of
mails into different mailing lists, so that people can subscribe to
those mailings they are interested in. I don't see why gnomemeeting has
to be different and throw all kinds of totally different mailings into
one single overcrowded mailing list, and require people to filter out
themselves afterwards what they are interested in, in a way of "we know
what's best for you and you should get all mails, even those you never
asked for". Let the user opt in to what information he should recieve,
not the other way around.

Christian