Re: Planned "Sound Settings" improvements

On 11/16/2011 04:41 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 08:40 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 20:00 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Btw, just a quick question so I know the limitations: What are the
>>> maximum size (in pixels) of the sound settings dialog? Are we designing
>>> for 1024x768, 800x600 or even less?
>>
>> https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings#UI_Patterns
>
> Hi again!
>
> Apart from working on the PulseAudio side, I've made a new mockup, here:
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/sound-settings/sound_settings_mockup_diwic2.png
>

> Comments about the mockup:
>
> First remember, I'm not a designer (the previous mockup was not made by
> me), so please don't laugh about left margins not being pixel aligned
> and such. Also, out of laziness I started off with a screenshot from my
> current system, so if there's some Ubuntu theming in there, just ignore
> that. :-)

Not bad for a non-designer.  I find the concept of having hardware and
associated settings under "output".  Pretty neat

<snip>
> And finally a question:
>
> I tried hard to fit the pixel margins of 675x490 in the mockup. But may
> I ask what hardware we're actually targetting here? It seems like most
> netbooks [1] are either 800x480, in which case 675x490 won't fit, or
> 1024x600, in which case there should be plenty of more, at least on the
> width side? Or am I missing something?

Its good you're considering netbooks.  The current Gnome3.2 UI can be
pain to navigate on some netbooks.  I am looking forward to your
treatment of the "Sound Effects" tab.  We (I and some friends on this
list) did some mockups for that tab since it appears redundant.  The
results of our sessions with the Gnome Designers were most discouraging.
 We ended up pushing for a total removal of the Tab ... surprised to be
seeing it in Fedora 15 (and my guess is that it is still in F16)