Re: merging keyboard & keyboard shortcuts

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:29 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Jared Moore <cornflake pirate gmail com> wrote:
>  > On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Matthias Clasen
>  >  <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >  Just because they both have keyboard in their name, is not a very good
>  >  >  reason to cram the shortcuts into the keyboard capplet.
>  >
>  >  No. A good reason is that the keyboard shortcuts capplet is the only
>  >  keyboard-related preferences that is _not_ in the keyboard capplets,
>  >  which is inconsistent.
>
>  Thats really just the 'keyboard in the name' argument in disguise...

Well, it depends on your point of view. They both have keyboard in the
name _because_ they're related, not the other way around. Saying it
that way is a bit of a straw man. :)

>  >  I would also argue that keyboard shortcuts have much more to do with
>  >  the keyboard than typing break does, since "typing break" is really
>  >  more like "take a break from your entire computer", not just typing.
>  >  So I don't see why typing break should be in the main keyboard
>  >  preferences while keyboard shortcuts isn't. (Not that I'm advocating
>  >  splitting out the typing break tab).
>
>  There was some talk about adding mouse gestures to the shortcuts capplet.

To me it would seem more logical to put mouse gestures in the mouse
capplet. While mouse gestures certainly are related to keyboard
shortcuts in terms of functionality, I just think that the mouse
capplet would be the first place where users would look for
configuration.

Anybody else care to share their thoughts?

Cheers,
Jared