Re: gnome-control-center 2.22 proposals

On 9/15/07, Denis Washington <dwashington gmx net> wrote:

> To start the discussion, here is a proposal from me: the "Mouse",
> "Keyboard" and "Keyboard Accesibility" capplets should be replaced by an
> "Input Devices" capplet (which incorporates all features of the
> mentioned dialogs except for keyboard layout management) and a new
> "Localization" capplet (which, in addition to providing the keyboard
> layout options, enables the user to choose it's language and locale).
>
> I created mockups for both proposed preferences dialogs. They can be
> found here:
>
> http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/input.html
> http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/i18n.html

Both of these sound like good ideas in principle. For both of them,
I think we should do a little more than just regrouping existing capplets,
but look if the provided control are still adequat and sufficient.

For input devices, we should take the coming input hotplug capabilties
into account. Also, it would be good to handle common input devices like
more-than-3 button mice and touchpads. Finally, the "Input devices" tab
in gnome-volume-manager needs to go.

For localization, it would be valuable to consider the various
"location picking"
needs that are currently scattered throughout the desktop (evolution
timezone selection, clock timezone selection, weather applet, etc.)
and come up with
some central location management. That would be a natural fit with the
Region selection on the l10n capplet.

Matthias