Re: [wgo] Skin work

On 11/25/06, Máirín Duffy <duffy redhat com> wrote:
Hi folks,

So I recovered from my turkey eating and threw together some four
different possibilities (one with 3 variations :) so a total of 6 mocks)
for another level of navigation on the secondary (iow 'non-frontpage')
wgo pages:

http://mihmo.livejournal.com/34329.html

Sorry Quim, but I still don't think the 3rd horizontal bar works well, despite Máirín's considerable efforts.

From least favourite to most:

The dark bars of the last two mockups really cut hard across the page and make quite a strange split.

The banner-bar means we have a lot of visuals before any actual content. I prefer the wider version, but it doesn't seem to clearly tell you what it's subdividing. Maybe if the 'About GNOME' header was connected up to the 'About' tab it's come from, instead of floating? But it commits us to a big image on every page, and we effectively end up with a compound header that's way too big.

The grey banner again seems disconnected from the header. Yes, I know I said in an earlier mail that adding it to the tabs in the header will be strange for the header. But this is the problem with the 3rd horizontal bar.
I could maybe see it working if it used the style you've got there for breadcrumbs: it's softer and more integrated with the page, rather than tacking on to the header.

The sidenav has the wrong links in it: it's repeating the primary nav and it shouldn't. It doesn't seem to follow quite the same style as the rest of the page, eg the corners are too rounded.

In conclusion: the breadcrumb style bar, or the side navigation.
Thanks for all your hard work Máirín. :)