Hello and introduction

Hi gnome-web,

Just wanted to send a short introductory message and congratulate you on choosing Plone for your new web project.

I'm Alexander Limi, one of the co-founders of the Plone project — and I have also worked a brief stint for Canonical (who employs a lot of GNOME people). My company Plone Solutions is responsible for the multilingual component in Plone called LinguaPlone. I also recently accepted a position at Google as a User Interface Designer, starting later this month.

In any case, I wanted to say that we'll do our best to guide you, help out with conceptual questions, and hopefully a little bit on the implementation front too (but I don't want to become a bottleneck — I have an open source project to run — so I won't promise any work personally outside of the guidance :).

I see that David Convent has already offered to assist you on the theming part, David is a long-time contributor to Plone, and is a dependable and talented guy who can be trusted with Plone decisions and advice. Martin Aspeli is another person you'll probably see chiming in here, he's also a respected and very skilled coder and community organizer.

I think the most value we can give you is some experience in what works and what doesn't, how to approach various deliverables (like scaling down the interface to fit your use case). Plone can be incredibly complex and confusing in the start, and I hope we can accelerate your understanding and help make Plone into the tool you need for your website needs.

Another thing that I believe is of great value is to help you avoid badly implemented add-ons (or "products" in Plone-speak). There is a significant number of add-on products out there (over 500 at last count), and a lot of them are not implemented with maintainability, extensibility or scalability in mind.

Later on, we should be able to give some advice on performance and caching, which is Plone's achilles heel if not set up properly. Plone does a lot out-of-the-box, and needs an efficient cache system in front, as well as proper setup on the server to give you the performance you expect. Luckily, we have a lot of experience in doing that too. :)

I'll stop here, I'm sure we'll get into the details later. I just want you to know that we're out there, and will do whatever we can to help you in the process of building your new web site. Thanks for the vote of confidence in choosing Plone, let's make sure you get what you want and need!