Re: From guadec.org to events.gnome.org

<quote who="Quim Gil">

> - Leave guadec.org as an archive and go for events.gnome.org.

Interesting proposal, though we're already using the wiki effectively for
event organisation (leading up to and documentation during), for instance:

  http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005
  http://live.gnome.org/Dunedin2006

I'm not sure a non-wiki CMS would enhance that, other than to provide a
solid news interface (it probably wouldn't make sense to 'fork' our wiki
into events vs. everything else). After all, live.gnome.org was *started*
and named for "live" event interaction. :-)

This may sound strange, and is definitely a branding issue, but what if we
used the main GUADEC site as a general events information page? GNOME Users
and Developers Event Co-ordination (definitely need a better C word). Then
we can put all news and announcements up there, but keep using the wiki for
behind-the-scenes stuff and event documentation and interaction. We could
also use events.gnome.org too, if we didn't want to overload the GUADEC
brand.

Certainly I agree with a more centralised approach to event information,
though. I wish Drupal had slightly better virtual domain / category stuff,
so we could keep making clear URLs, but manage everything in the one place.
Bet someone's written something for that, though...

Let's not try to solve the world's ills here -> we can start by turning
guadec.org into a Drupal site for GUADEC 2006 *and beyond*. Then we can play
around with URL rewriting or better virtual domain / category support. Is
that going to work for the GUADEC team?

linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

   "We are not lovers. We are not romantics. We are here to serve you." -
                        Gary Numan, Down In The Park