Re: Missing navigation

On 12/11/2003 11:25 AM, Glynn Foster wrote:

Hey,

It is SGML generated and begs the question, would library.gnome.org try
to unify the presentation of the docbook generated pages?  Do we want to
unify gnome-devel-docs from cvs into the library proper?  Should the
library have docbook source files?

I think the answer is yes to my questions.

Yeah, I completely agree - we should have our docs looking pretty
online. I personally find the default docbook output pretty gross, since
it doesn't include the navigation template. Ideally I'd like to see us
having the following rules -

	o All html generated docbook documents MUST have a suitable
	  navigation template,
	o Any online documents MUST have an accompanied 'printer
	  friendly' format - I think that should be PDF.

If we have those, we're on to a winner.

As to how we unify things like gnome-devel-docs and library-web I'm not
entirely sure. I guess I don't really like the idea of having another
CVS module involved.
These were the sample stylesheets I posted to this list a while back:
   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2003-August/msg00013.html

They demonstrated how you could produce manage Both XHTML -> XHTML and DocBook -> XHTML transformations to produce a consistent look for a website while sharing as much stylesheet code as possible. (it looks like the list archive software has stripped the attachment names, but you should be able to get the picture).

While the default output of the modular docbook stylesheets is quite plain looking, don't assume that they aren't capable of producing something nicer looking (they are very configurable). The gtk-doc HTML output is another example of customising the stylesheets.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/