Nautilus+GIO vs GnomeApps+GNOMEVFS (aka: the clash on trash)

I'm playing with my jhbuild development install.

We have a serious issue about trash: gio+gvfs implements the fd.o trash
spec, gnome-vfs uses the old, custom ~/.Trash directory.

################

Example 1: I'm using EoG to browse some photos to store. I want to
remove some, then I use the "Move to Trash" feature inside EoG.

Result 1: trashed photos will never appear in trash:// 'cause was moved
to ~/.Trash, not .local/share/Trash. Those photos will survive as
zombies in my file system...

Example 2: my distro removed desktop icons an provided the trash applet.

Result 2: a big mess: the applet will open trash:// but will move files
to and will monitor ~/.Trash :-(

Some applications are moving to gio/gvfs, meanwhile, could we:
      * implement fd.o trash in gnome-vfs
      * run a (hidden) migrate trash (at Nautilus startup?) is .Trash
        exists and there are files?

PS there is a yet open bug against EoG. Alex, could you port the trash
applet to GIO?