Re: VFS integration with kernel mounts

Alex Jones wrote:

> Hi Alexander
>
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 14:58 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 00:19 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>>
>> > This should be a piece of cake to do (assuming HAL) and if people think
>> > it's a good idea (I'm not entirely convinced it is) I'd be happy to
>> take
>> > a stab at it when GVFS is ready for this. Alex?
>>
>> I'm not really convinced it is a good idea. Seems a bit fragile and
>> bound to case trouble in various edge cases. Aliasing filenames is
>> always problematic, so is using filenames in a non-canonical way that
>> not all apps support.
>
> One thing to consider is that apps that remember URIs of files on
> portable media will be mislead if we continue to use /media/usbdisk-n
> convention.
>
> For example, I might have a file /Document on one UMS device, open it in
> AbiWord, close it all down and swap out the disk for another, which also
> has the file /Document. These would both have exactly the same URI.
>
> I think we do have mechanism in place to identify the physical device
> some file belongs to, but the whole idea of a URI (not a
> URI-Reference[1]) is that it is Universal. Therefore, I strongly believe
> there should be some distinction between the two files' URIs, either by
> changing the naming policy on the mount point to /media/some-volume-uuid
> or by simply devising a new addressing scheme, URI or otherwise.
>
> Personally I'm of the opinion that cramming everything into the POSIX
> model doesn't work, as it's not generic enough for DAV/VFAT/FTP/SMB/etc
> to work without lots of dodgy policy with regard to permissions, file
> ownership and naming. Either something massive could go into the kernel
> or GVFS could deal with this all in userspace, but either way this is a
> massive shock to the system and I don't expect this to ever happen, even
> though it would make things nicer.
>
> Consider being able to access files in a tar-bzipped FAT filesystem
> image that is accessed over DAV with a single address. (The addressing
> scheme here is made up on the spot. XRI might be a better scheme but I
> don't know that much about it.)
>
>       * "dav://myserver/mystuff.bz2" addresses the bzip image on the DAV
>         share
>       * "bzip2:(dav://myserver/stuff.bz2)" addresses the uncompressed
>         file
>       * "tar:(bzip2:(dav://myserver/mystuff.bz2))" addresses tar
>         contents
>       * "tar:(bzip2:(dav://myserver/mystuff.bz2))/myVFAT" addresses a
>         file with name myVFAT inside the tar archive
>       *
> "vfat(tar:(bzip2:(dav://myserver/mystuff.bz2))/myVFAT)/some/path/to/document
> addresses a file inside the file system
>
> Imagine the possibilities!

with fuse you can do that by stacking the mounts

for exemple you can do

$fusehttp http://myserver/mystuff.bz2 ./file/
$compFUSEd ./file/mystuff.bz2 ./archive/

maybe with fuse one could do a global file system

with a protocol tree like kind of what automount do, or afuse a fuser
auomounter

/media/http/myserver/file/
/media/smb/server/share/

something so abstract that would ask even passwords etcetera well good luck
to do that :p

> [1] http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rfc/rfc3986.html
>

>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat,
>> Inc
>>                    alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
>> He's a globe-trotting amnesiac cowboy whom everyone believes is mad.
>> She's a
>> radical green-skinned queen of the dead looking for love in all the wrong
>> places. They fight crime!

> --
> Alex Jones
> http://alex.weej.com/