Re: [patch] new cdda module

fre 2005-08-26 klockan 17:07 +0200 skrev Martin Schön:
> That leaves the format question. Every player supports mp3, but many
> linux
> distributions don't (at least officially), because of patents on the
> format. Vorbis is
> supported by most distributions, but only by a tiny portion of the
> players.
>
> And the message must be very clear. Nothing like "this format is not
> supported",
> which sounds like the file can't even be saved. More like "you won't be
> able to
> listen to this file on your player".

I agree, the message must be clear and informative.  However, the
specific mp3 problem is not ours, but a problem of the distributions.

> But there's still the dependency problem. Either one big dependency
> (gstreamer) or
> a lot of small ones. Neither one is really good. And if the music
> management in gnome is
> to be like cd->player/ripper, then for consistency's sake it should also
> be player->portable.
> No direct handling of files, just drag&drop inside an application like
> rhythmbox, which
> then could handle things like that.

Well I think the choise if gstreamer is easy, since it is supported in
other places. I realize that Alex doesn't want to have gnome-vfs depend
on gstreamer, so I suggest that this kind of functionality is developed
outside the gnome-vfs project.

//Snaggen