Re: [patch] new cdda module

Am Freitag, den 26.08.2005, 16:37 +0200 schrieb Mattias Eriksson:
> Does it really have to be that complex?
> Hal got all the information about what music formats a device supports.
> Why not just ignore where on the device the files are copied (we must
> assume the users have some basic clue about how their players work).
> Then in the case where user copies a known music format that the player
> doesn't support we tell the user about this and ask if we should change
> the music format so that it fits the player?
>
> This way the user still may place music in the wrong folders. But if
> users really want to have the music there who are we to prevent them ;-)
>
> //Snaggen

It should definitely be restricted to music formats. Asking for every
file would
be rather annoying, especially when it can't be converted anyway.

That leaves the format question. Every player supports mp3, but many
linux
distributions don't (at least officially), because of patents on the
format. Vorbis is
supported by most distributions, but only by a tiny portion of the
players.

And the message must be very clear. Nothing like "this format is not
supported",
which sounds like the file can't even be saved. More like "you won't be
able to
listen to this file on your player".

But there's still the dependency problem. Either one big dependency
(gstreamer) or
a lot of small ones. Neither one is really good. And if the music
management in gnome is
to be like cd->player/ripper, then for consistency's sake it should also
be player->portable.
No direct handling of files, just drag&drop inside an application like
rhythmbox, which
then could handle things like that.