user desktop installs

Hi all,
I asked on the gnome-devel before about where to put desktop files for
user installs. There didn't seem to be an easy way, as in older releases
where dumping them in ~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications/ is supposed to do
the trick. Now in gnome-2.8 I must edit
~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications.vfolder-info which appears means lots of
work just for installing a desktop entry.

As this appears to fall in the gnome-vfs domain, I'm asking here:
Firstly, is the above method really the only way of doing this?
How will this be done in gnome-2.10?

Thanks,
Johan