Wastebasket woes

Well, it's that time of year again when the translations start up.

The Ubuntu team have decided for themselves that they are going to use
the term "rubbish bin" instead of "wastebasket" in their en_GB
translations[0]. No matter what you may feel about downstream taking
this decision, I suggest that the term in GNOME should also be changed
to "rubbish bin".

For starters, one of the new strings in Nautilus is "Trashed on". The
snag with the word "Wastebasket" is that you'd have to reword that to
"Moved to wastebasket on", which is rather long winded; whereas it could
be "Binned on" with the new term. It would also be less confusing if all
distros used the same terminology.

Thoughts, comments and complaints are welcome of course.

Incidentally, I'm sorry that I lost my temper on that bug report, I
really shouldn't comment that late in the night.

[68] https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/406626/comments/68
--
Bruce Cowan <bcowan fastmail co uk>