Re: GNOME-UK Website ideas

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 14:32 +0000, Glenn J. Mason wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that gnome.org revamp is getting some steam I've been playing with
> ideas for the GNOME-UK site i.e. www.uk.gnome.org.  It's in drupal
> (despite it's unsuitability for gnome.org proper) because
>
> a) it's relatively lightweight (esp. with PHPTemplate engine)
> b) requires only PHP and mysql
> c) can be made to do what (I think) we want with little effort.

(Drupal is a nightmare. I've run a very busy site that's been using it
from somewhere around the 3.xx release.)

One again i'd like to suggest we wait and bide our time to see how the
w.g.o design turns out. Also as far as I understand they are
implementing it using Plone on Zope. We should ultimately aim to adopt
the same technologies so that we can reuse work and potentially the same
hosting platform (Zope makes it very easy to create virtual hosting
environments for users with ACLs.)

Cheers,

Rob
--