Re: Application specific HC icons how?

Calum Benson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 15:23 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 14:11 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:

IIRC, the only major objection was that during the transition, newer
versions of gnome-themes wouldn't contain the HC icons for older
versions of an application (i.e. before the application had begun
installing them itself), so we'd have to figure out how to handle those
kinds of dependencies.
IMO it's no different than when that application uses new API in a newer
version of a library. For instance, applications requiring GTK+ 2.10
aren't going to run on GTK+ 2.8. If people are going to upgrade the
core theme for the desktop, they should upgrade the rest of the desktop
as well, generally. Otherwise, yeah, there could be breakage.

There's also the question of what happens if two applications want to
install HC icons with the same name (which may or may not look the
same).  I guess we already have that problem with the hicolor theme,
though, and it probably just needs a 'best practice' guideline, if there
isn't one already.
Application should install icons with the same name as the application (sound-juicers is called sound-juicer, totems totem etc.) For application specific icons (like the new-tag icon in last-exit for example) it's smartest to install them into $prefix/share/(application)/icons/hicolor/(size)/(action).png
See http://wayofthemonkey.com/index.php?date=2006-11-15&month=11&year=2006
Same way with the HighContrast icons, $prefix/share/(application)/icons/HighContrast/48x48/(action).svg
Right?

Yeah, we totally need to come to consensus with the kde-dudes.
- Andreas