Re: button themes

On 28 Jan 1998, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Shawn T. Amundson writes:
>  > It seems to me that we want will want to have some other
>  > faster method for creating parts of themes instead of only
>  > pixmaps.
>
> No.  It's quite easy to optimize tiling an unscaled 1x1 pixmap into
> drawing a line or filling an area, if that turns out to be necessary.
> Let's not multiple entities needlessly.

That really doesn't buy you much when you go to draw the reliefs of
borders does it?  Still you need to define how to draw them or you
need an entire pixmap to do it.  If you require a pixmap, memory
is sucked away.

We could perhaps be able to define "relief" as a separate pixmap that
is small and use the border stuff and have the center be one pixel...
that wouldn't take up much memory I suppose.

>  > We will assume for now that works like magic and found all
>  > the files and such.  We need a couple more functions for
>  > working with loaded themes (note - more than one theme can
>  > be loaded at once to allow switching at runtime).
>
> Not necessary.  You want to switch, you load again.
>
>  > gtk_theme_unload("57chevy");
>
> You want to switch, you load again.
>
>  > gtk_theme_refresh("57chevy");
>
> You want to refresh, you load again.

Even so, if you had a theme which was more complete than others, you
could have themes pile up on top of each other - for example, I have
my 57chevy theme and I didn't define a filesel widget.  So in my 57chevy
theme I put to fallback to themes mac,win95,motif if available.  This
makes things more complex and perhaps isn't even desirable.

The fallback is more important in widget sets than say, in E, because
if a new widget pops up and our theme doesn't handle it, it would be
nice to choose themes as backups which closely match.

--
Shawn T. Amundson		Complete Internet Solutions
Senior Systems Administrator	Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

while (i) { last }
    i, do exist.
    forever;