Re: The concept from MUI (Amiga)

On 18 Feb, Joel Dillon shouted:
->  >
->  > sure, the ability must be given to reconfigure every element of a
->  > specific application or do it
->  > global. therefore i thought about a central tool that...
->  >
->  > 1. holds all existing widgets (and styles) in a list
->  > 2. sends messages to all gtk-applications to redraw with the new
->  > configuration (when pressing update)
->  > 3. and collects all configuration screens out of the widget and
->  > style-classes to bundle it in one
->  >    tool, so that the user will love to customize his desktop.
->  >
->  > and it would be very interessting if there would be a possibility to
->  > tell a specific widget of an
->  > application, "hey, i want to reconfigure you NOW!" - like the way
->  > "editres" does sending messages
->  > to its clients to get the resources-tree. any ideas ?
->
->    Sounds like this sort of thing ought to be done through Corba
->  somehow. I don't know enough to suggest a detailed solution ;)

I don't CORBA is higher level above gdk and gtk... it should be done at
gdk and gtk level - fairly simple using XClientMessage Events to the
base window of each client. GTK can listen for this easily by extending
its event mask and  apon certain client message events unload then
reload the theme stuff...

->  > >   I have some code (written for the free qt project) you can look
->  > > at if you want. Email me if you want me to send it to you. It's C++
->  > > (obviously) and uses imlib. It's pretty crude, I was just hacking to
->  > > see how easy it would be to implement.
->  > >
->  > >         Jo
->  > is it for qt or gtk ?
->
->    Well, it's a more-or-less Qt-compatible clone of the Qt event
->  distribution and pushbutton classes (plus supporting classes).
->  So it's not directly applicable to the question of theming gtk. I just
->  thought it might be useful, since it's the only X-themed-widget stuff
->  that's currently written (as far as I know).
->
->  	Jo
->
->