Re: [gnome-summary] Gnome Summary copyright (fwd)

Hi Alan (and everybody),

I would like to help sort out these legal issues with
the GNOME summaries and, hopefully, the foundation on
a pro bono basis.

Some background about me:

I am an associate in a law firm with offices in
Boston, Massachusetts and Providence, Rhode Island
(I'm based out of Providence but am licensed in both
states).  I am an avid fan of GNOME and have been
following GNOME development since 1999.  I am, sadly,
not much of a hacker: I've written some
object-oriented Perl libraries to handle Gregorian
calendar dates and other such trifles mainly as an
educational exercise.

What I would like to do:

I would like to help sort out legal issues for the
GNOME summary team, as well as the other GNOME teams
(or even the GNOME foundation), if that is desirable.
I would also like to do this on a pro bono basis, as a
member of the GNOME community.  I have some background
in IP work, including copyright, trademark, and patent
litigation.

Some potential obstacles:

I am only an associate at my firm.  Accordingly, I
must gain permission from the partnership before I can
commit myself (and, by extension, them) to a legal
relationship with the GNOME "client."

In order to make this offer to the partnership, I will
need to articulate who the client is.  Is the GNOME
summary team a part of the foundation, or should it
form its own entity?

Is the GNOME foundation (or whoever the client will
be) willing to accept my services?  I can update my
resume and upload it, if the "client" is interested.
Just let me know.

Assuming I get permission to do this, I would be
honored to have the opportunity to use my legal
education and skills on behalf of the GNOME team.  I
believe GNOME is doing a beautiful job at spreading
freedom throughout the world by its creation of
high-quality *free* (as in libre) software.  Providing
these services could be my particular way of giving
back to the community.

At any rate, thanks for reading, and, in general,
thank you.

Very truly yours,

Andrew Coulam

--- Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote:
> On Llu, 2004-02-02 at 17:58, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> > appropriate and allows us to change text if we
> need to.  Also, someone in
> > our summary team suggested an agreement that if
> edits misrepresents, that
> > we would issue a retraction or correction in the
> followin gnome-summary.
>
> IANAL: However if there is a concern then making
> sure the gnome
> foundation insurance cover includes it would be a
> good idea. They are
> important issues (and the UK rather than the US is
> famous as the grand
> home of libel law problems).
>
> Alan

=====