Re: Stop installing/updating apps in parallel

On 17 January 2018 at 08:33, Joaquim Rocha <jrocha endlessm com> wrote:
Also, at least for Endless' users, we
cannot really leave the responsibility of limiting the number of actions at
a time to our users (as they may not have this knowledge).

Also, we also don't want to degrade the performance of people with 8+
cores and 200Mb/sec unlimited internet access.

If we cannot find a strong consensus, one possibility is to have a pool of
worker threads that we can limit based on some criteria (num of CPUs, build
param, gsettings, ...). The code would be more complex

I'll stop you there :) It has to be simple. I think if the machine is
detected to be "slow" in terms of cores or bandwidth, we automatically
limit the parallel jobs to say 1 or 2, and otherwise limit it to 10. I
think the plugin loader knows about all the other jobs in the system,
and it would be easy for a mutex to just hold an action
(install/update/remove, NOT query) until the queue is emptier.

Richard