Re: Improve Shotwell Slideshow - Weekly Report #6

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 15:17, Alexandre Rosenfeld
<alexandre rosenfeld gmail com> wrote:
> This week wasn't as productive as last week. I did ported some GStreamer
> code from the background music feature, not to use some functionality that
> is only present in newer Ubuntu versions (not present in Ubuntu Maverick),
> since my mentor commented we have to support Ubuntu Maverick. I still prefer
> to use the new functionality since it might handle corner cases better, so I
> did it in a way that can be easily switched in the future.
> But supporting Ubuntu Maverick means I cannot use the OffscreenEffects from
> newer versions of Clutter (1.4 and above) and it would be quite important
> for transition effects. I think I can disable transitions that require this
> in Maverick, but I'm not sure how best handle this case yet.

Why is your mentor forcing you to support a distribution that is
already half-way through its life-cycle and has already been
superseded by a subsequent release? I hope there's a misunderstanding
as this not in the spirit of past GNOME Summer of Code mentoring. It
would not be unreasonable to request use of stable versions of
dependent libraries but nine months old is certainly outside of that
and actually counterproductive as you've clearly outlined above.