fifth report: cheese integration

good morning guys!

this week wasn't that good for me :( on Wednesday my notebook decided to quit his work and go to nirvana! At this point I must say: Thanks god I've bought a Dell XPS!!! Here comes the short story:

-Wednesday morning: I see crazy colors on my desktop....after reboot everything was fine....for 20 minutes, then the same shit again and the crazy color stripes appeared also during boot -Still Wednesday morning: I was able to call Dell Support via Skype from the notebook of a friend of mine. The guy there was really helpful! We made some tests and he decided: graphics card is gone! Though the graphics card is on the motherboard the whole motherboard has to be changed. And because of the actual temperatures he would like to change also the heat sink. Then I told him that my hdd makes some strange noises and I'm really worried the hard disk is about die. The support guy: "alright then, you will receive also a new hard disk! The technician will call you tomorrow morning and if he has the parts he will make an appointment with you" WOOOOOW!!!! the next day? *happy* -Thursday morning (between 8 and 10, exactly how the support guy promised): The technician calls and would like to come to my home between 12:00 and 14:00! He came at exactly 12:15 and did his work (I was able to look over his shoulders the whole time) until 13:00 when he was finished with changing the motherboard, heat sink and hard disk. -Thursday afternoon: The technician left the old hdd so I was able to recover the data....I made a 1:1 duplicate of the hard disk (8 hours!!!!) and now everything works exactly as before!!!

DELL XPS SUPPORT: THE BEST!

sorry for the advertising but this is really great...the technician comes to you the next work day and fixes your notebook. who has seen this with another company??

lets talk about summer of code though: during the weekend I worked on the DBus interface for gnome. At this point I must say: thanks a lot Marc-André and Cosimo for your answers! Especially Cosimo....I owe you a big gelato! Cheese has now a remote method to activate the whole cheese-dbus part and emits a signal when cheese-dbus is activated and a picture is shoot. (at the moment the signal gets emitted with every shoot, the activation part isn't complete yet ;) )

I've had a long fight with catching the signal in the client, but at the end it worked!

Nothing more from me for now, enjoy the week and see you next week in Istanbul!

cheers
felix