Unittesting shell extensions

I'm sorry for spamming the list,

this will be the last one for now :)

After taking over an existing extension, one of the first things I
wanted to do in order to improve general code quality was writing up
unit tests. After some time now I managed to come up with a
node/phantomjs/qunit based pipeline that works in general.
However, I am struggling with testing extension code in a atomic way as
it makes heavy use of injected shell context (imports.*).
I can hardly be the first one to stuble over this, still my research so
far on this turns up empty.

After some conversation with "ebassi" on #gnome-shell it appears that it
is really something not commonly done. Is this true? Is there actually
no way to write unit tests for extensions?

The most promising so far I found was this [1], but I am
a) not sure how this would influence acceptance to extensions.gnome.org
b) It seems a bit hackish for a solid solution.

I also took the liberty to raise this question on SO [2] as my research
clearly shows other people looking for an answer too.

Thank you for any pointers in advance and for all your contributions in
general.
Eric.

[1] https://github.com/topa/gjs-require
[2]