From: Carlos Soriano Sánchez [mailto:carlos soriano89 gmail com]
Sent: Sunday, 30 March, 2014 13:28
To: John Frankish
Cc: gnome-shell-list gnome org
Subject: Re: No application or applet icons in gmome-shell-3.10.3

Hi John,

Seems the problem is that you don't know hot to use gnome shell no? [0]
You have to click the "Activities" button in the left-up corner to show the "Overview", when you will see the
dash to launch applications, the workspaces, the windows, and a search entry for all kind of things
(applications, files, settings). Then in the Dash (the bar at the left) you have to click the last button
with a 9 dot form. Here will open the app picker, where frequent/all applications are shown.

[0]: Gnome solves this with its getting-started module, which helps you to get started with gnome and gnome
shell.
      Since you are compiling things on yourself, and I guess you didn't compile this module and it didn't
show for you.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be sure I understood:

I thought various applet icons - network-manager-applet, Bluetooth, weather, etc, were meant to appear in the
top panel? All I have is a sound icon and the icon to switch the machine off (which doesn't work).

If the gnome-tweak-tool is required to obtain desktop application icons, how are users supposed to launch
applications? The only method I have available is <alt-F2> to bring up a command line to launch applications.

John