Audio Starts Muted On One Workstations

I have one workstation where the sound upon login is always muted;
unlike all the other devices and laptops where the audio resumes to the
previous settings.  On this box the volume is muted but set to a level
greater than 0% in the 'applet'.  The volume can be increased but the
user has to remember to do this?

(a) Any ideas what might be mixed up to cause that problem?
(b) Where are the user's audio preferences saved?  I've rooted around in
dconf-editor and can't find them.

openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, GNOME 3.6

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383