global button-press-event

I've been trying to figure this out for a while and I can't quit get it.
So say that someone has a mouse with a plethora of buttons, and say that
I want to be able to bind one of those buttons change the workspace, or
something else. How would I go about doing this.
I'm pretty comfortable developing extensions, but I can't figure out how
to do a global button binding. I've done things so that I can get the
button binding on just the shell (like the overview and the top bar),
but not on the windows. I've also been able to get a global keybinding
as well.

Another thing that kind of bugs me is that in "Keyboard Settings" you
can only do keyboard binding, not mouse indings. I went into
dconf-editor and tried to change the values manually, but to no avail.

J_