Re: Extension Thunderbird Integration

Le vendredi 20 janvier 2012 à 14:15 +0100, Paul Neulinger a écrit :
> Hey,
>
> I have developed an extension for a better integration of Thunderbird
> some time ago:
> https://github.com/tanwald/gnome-shell-extension-thunderbird-integration
>
> This extension uses the GNOME Shell notifications system to inform the
> user about new mail. It consists of two extensions. A Thunderbird
> extension which sends DBus-signals and the GNOME Shell part which
> connects to those signals.
Just curious, but why do you need to write a Shell extension at all? If
Thunderbird emits standard notifications using D-Bus (just like Evo does
BTW), then the Shell should handle them pretty well.

> Recently I got a request to push it to extensions.gnome.org but I think
> that it is not suitable for that site because it is not only a GNOME
> Shell extension and other steps have to be taken in order to install it.
> Is that assumption correct?
Indeed, you can't install a Thunderbird extension from a GNOME Shell
one. But if your Thunderbird extension creates standard freedesktop.org
notifications, then maybe you can get it included by default in
Thunderbird?

Cheers