A z-ordered list of windows available from extensions?

Hi,

Is there a way to get a list of currently visible windows, including their z-ordering from an extension? In my extension[1] I need to find out, which windows are above the active one. I assumed that global.get_window_actors() returns windows in the right order (which it usually does), but apparently this is not always the case.

I have noticed cases when a window gets raised but retains its position in the list returned by get_window_actors(), so apparently my assumption was wrong.

So, how do I get a z-order-sorted list of windows? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek

1. https://github.com/gnosek/gnome-shell-opacify