RE: gnome-shell performance under AMD E-350

________________________________
> Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 04:08:17 +0330
> Subject: Re: gnome-shell performance under AMD E-350
> From: bijanbina gmail com
> To: gnome-shell-list gnome org
>

> i think it may refer to your graphic card brand so you need to fill a
> bug in their site
>
> both Nvidia and ATI have a bug request system
>
> also for testing your drive you can use bottom command in terminal"
>
> glxgears -info

Honestly I have no hopes for AMD's drivers getting better, I just tested it to get a comparison. And it seems my suspicions were right - by disabling vblank I was able to get much better performance with the open source driver. Things like getting in and out of the overview mode feel much faster, although still not very smooth. And with vblank disabled I get nowhere near the same amount of tearing as with the fglrx driver, so I'm happy with things as they are now.
For the record, if anyone cares to test: I did the above by creating a /etc/profile.d/gnome-shell.sh file with the following:
export CLUTTER_VBLANK=noneexport vblank_mode=0
I'm now also using these settings on my parents laptop, a *seven* year old laptop (Pentium M, ATI 9200 video) which feels great with Gnome Shell! My parents felt like they got a new computer and loved it when I upgraded their system to GNOME 3.2, so I say it again, nice job y'all!
Cheers,