Re: Netbooks

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Inti Alonso <intialonso yahoo com> wrote:
> Hi, I just want to give my opinion. I think that Gnome-Shell waste a lot of
> space in my little screen, we have those Big window titles, with those Big
> controls; we have a panel with a lot of empty space and no way to
> autohide...
> Whats the plans for the menus? I think that Unity global menu is a great way
> to get more screen for the user; or the chrome-firefox style.
> What about a compact theme?

For now, you can use Gnome-Tweak-Tool to decrease the font size of the
titlebar. I was able to make the titlebar about 40% smaller just by
setting the font size down a couple points, which was really nice on
my 1024x600 netbook screen.

https://github.com/nzjrs/gnome-tweak-tool

Otherwise, I agree with you that the Unity method of shrinking the
maximized titlebar is an efficient use of space, but I'm not terribly
bothered by it.

Firefox 4 had a bigger impact on screen space usage by autohiding the
status bar, and setting it to hide the menubar (which compacts it into
a single button on the tab bar), and then setting 'use small icons' on
the navigation bar.

--
http://exolucere.ca